Facts and figures about one of the world's most valuable target markets-
How large is the U.S. gay market?
- Kinsey says about 18.75 million.
- Simmons says about 21 million.
- NORC says about 15 million.
- These three sources averaged out equal 18.25 million.
Greenfield Online's research of the gay market reports that:
- 78 percent of gay online users prefer to buy from companies that advertise to the gay market.
- 71 percent of gay online users have made credit card purchases online.
- 43 percent of gay online users identify Gay.com as their favorite Web site.
Simmons' research (comparing gay consumers to the national index of consumers) reports that gay consumers are:
- 71 percent male/29 percent female
- Over twice as likely as national index to be professionals/managers
- Twice as likely to have household income over $60K
- Twice as likely to have household income over $250K
- Twice as likely to have graduated from college
- Three times more likely to be online than the average American
- Four times as likely to spend over $150 on long distance monthly
- Twice as likely to spend $250 on cellular service
and that, of those surveyed:
- Over 90 percent took a domestic trip this year
- 60 percent took a foreign trip in the last three years
- 65 percent identify themselves as having to have the "latest"
- 68 percent upgrade to a product's latest model
- 77 percent "believe in indulging themselves"
- 57 percent "prefer to buy top of the line"
- 59 percent buy themselves whatever they want